Friday, May 20, 2005

Just Plain Embarrassin

Kids say the darndest things. And they say them out loud, to strangers.

My son, he's the master of this.

When he was 3 I was teaching him to chew with his mouth closed. We went to KFC for lunch with the baseball player we were hosting at the time. While we were eating, I told him to chew with his mouth closed. He looked 2 tables down to a large man eating hardily. You may be able to guess what happened next. It wasn't subtle. He sits up straight, points with a fully extended arm and says loudly "But he's not chewing with his mouth closed mommy!". I wanted to slide under the table.

Another situation occured at one of my husbands softball games. I alluded to this in a previous post but without the story behind it. As we were sitting there a couple walked up to the bleachers; the man was in a wheelchair. Again, the full arm extension with a pointing finger, my son says loudly "Why's he in that big stroller mommy?". Thankfully the man was very kind and befriended my son and talked about his "big stroller".

He's also pointed out the man missing the lower half of one arm. The boy misses nothing. As he's grown older, I've had discussions with him about pointing out his obsevances about other people. The difficulty was, I wanted him to accept differences about other people more casually. I didn't want him pointing them out loudly, but I didn't want him whispering his questions in front of them either. Having people whispering about you would make anyone uncomfortable. I found it is difficult to teach a child under 6 finesse.

The last incident was not too long ago. He and I were sitting by a woman when he turned to her and said "Is your leg real?". Appearantly he'd looked over and noticed that her leg looked different. Since he can't point out loudly and he can't whisper about it, he must have logically deduced that the next best option available to him was to just ask the person about it. And yes, the woman had a prosthetic leg. Fortunately she too was very good about it and showed him all about her prosthetic leg. Thank God for understanding people.

So if you ever happen to see me out, no need to warn me about the deep hole beside me. I keep it handy to swallow me up the next time my son see's something that sparks his curiosity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home