Thursday, July 14, 2005

Solo

My sister doesn't understand me. I enjoy doing things alone. That is something beyond her comprehension. I love to take a book and go out to eat all by myself. I get to enjoy my meal, read a book, and all in peace. No food to cut up, no whining kids, no trading meals cause the kids want what I have once they see it. To me, it's a little piece of heaven. My sister thinks eating out by myself makes me look like I have no family, no man in my life, and no friends. My best friend tends to agree with her. That's what my sister thinks when she see's someone eating by themselves. I never think that. In fact, I guess I don't think much about it at all.

I also go to movies alone. My husband just doesn't care that much for them. He likes watching movies at home but the theatre doesn't hold much interest for him. He used to fall asleep during movies at the theater (when his sleep apnea was bad). So for the most part, I go by myself. I don't really mind. In fact, it doesn't bother me in the least. Something else my sister wouldn't understand.

Sometimes I'll go out in the evening just to be alone for a while. Usually I'll go get groceries or something but sometimes I just go for a drive or sit out at the park and read or watch people. There is a part of me that just needs occasional alone time. It's odd because sometimes I feel like I never get a chance to be around other grown ups since I stay home with the kids. Sometimes I'm sick of being alone. But that is infrequent.

I treasure my alone time. Often, I need it. I enjoy other people, I like being social. I just also like to go out, have a nice quiet meal all by myself, just me and my book. I wonder though, how typical it is for people to form an opinion about me based on my eating out alone or going to the movie alone.

3 Comments:

Blogger Politically Homeless said...

Sometimes I like doing that too. I just want my time, to go where I want, see what I want, do what I want.

Nothing wrong with that at all.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I suspect that you may be an introvert. I am. I need space at times. I can get physically ill when I do not have the space I need.

11:07 PM  
Blogger Monica said...

I like my alone time. I mostly get it when I get up between 430 and 5 during the school year...writing and drinking hazelnut coffee. But in the summer...THIS summer...I have too much alone time. A nice social calendar but alone time from family. I'm not sure I like that. Not this much of it anyway. Good post, though. I came across it through Mr. Brian's weekly roundup.

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home