Thursday, June 30, 2005

Let Me Count The Ways

Thanks all for the good advise and encouragement on the previous "Ways" post. It is certainly not always easy to keep a good marriage going. I'd say our marriage is good but I did wonder about that changing from the person I once knew. I wondered how "normal" it was and how people dealt with it. I don't usually spend much time reflecting on how my husband was when we first married. Usually only comes up when I'm mad. Really mad. Which, fortunately, doesn't happen ALL that often. Still, it is a valid consideration and you all gave me something to think about.

I think it is very easy in marriage to slip into survival routines (those with children know what this is) and stop taking time out for ourselves as a couple. Our lives have tended to revolve around our children. In some ways this has been great of course, but we've neglected our relationship as husband and wife to give way to mother and father I think. Even when we manage time to ourselves, we're usually too mentally drained to enjoy each other. Trust me, we have mentally draining children.

I do also think there is merit in the suggestion that depression in men often comes out in anger. In fact, when several family members were dying and there was a great deal of stress, my husband went on an anti-depressant. He is loath however to taking medications and once things got back on track a bit, he stopped taking them. I don't know though that he suffers currently from medication required depression. I just think his plate has more on it than he can digest.

Anyway, thanks all for the advice and understanding. Be sure to give me your opinions on the blog below regarding my husband's shirt. Thanks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home