Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Under The Knife

Well, my husband will soon go under the knife. He has surgery scheduled for Friday for Carpal Tunnel surgery. They are going to do one hand then wait 3 weeks and do the other. This will be his first surgery. When it first came about that he was going to need surgery, he was pretty nervous. I think he's more calm now. It's hard to imagine he's not had any kind of surgery or anything. It seems to be such a regular thing for me that it took me a minute to realize that he hasn't any idea what surgery is like. Granted, it's a minor surgery, and I'm thankful for that, but it'll still be the first time he's been put under. Guess he'll be off for several weeks afterwards. He works hard labor with his hands so he can't exactly go right back to work.

Gosh, his first surgery. I've had like, hmmm, let's see, five I think. The most routine of which was gallbladder. The worst was of course my 2nd back surgery when I had 3 vertabrae fused. Although I must admit, my C-section was a close 2nd on misery. Probably cause I had pushed for hours first, they used too much anesthetic and I had trouble waking up, I couldn't have an epideral for local pain, and on top of it all, I was a first time mom supposed to take care of an infant on my own within a couple of days. I'd hardly gotten truly awake from too much anesthetic before I was even sent home! But the back surgery definitely tops the list.

Gallbladder was the easiest. My husbands surgery should be a little easier than a gallbladder surgery so he should come home Ok. Oh but I can hear him now. He's gonna think he knows all there is about experiencing surgery. Hehe, when my brother in law had his appendix out, he thought he'd experienced pain worse than childbirth. LOL, my sister in law had just had their baby about 2 months prior. Boy did she fill him in.

Sometimes though I wish we really could walk in other people's shoes just for an experience. I think people would be so much more understanding of each other.

Anyway, I don't know whether to ask for prayers for my husbands surgery, or for me for the weeks he's going to be home afterwards. :<)

4 Comments:

Blogger Monica said...

How about prayers going up for both? I can sympathize with all of it...I had 3 c-sections, an appendectomy, and emergency surgery on my neck following a car accident.
So prayers for the patient and the patience.

6:56 AM  
Blogger Penny said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I liked what you said. After putting myself through needless frustration, I am finally learning to enjoy what I have and feel truly blessed.
I sympathize with your husband since I have never had surgery either and would be scared. (I have given birth 3 times - once without anathesia, that counts for something!) I also feel for you - it's tough looking after the recovering...husbands in particular.

7:20 AM  
Blogger mis_nomer said...

You've had 5 ops?? Whoa. I thought your comment about your bro-in-law pretty funny. :)

11:42 PM  
Blogger John said...

Hi ##NAME##, Your post on ##TITLE## was very informative and helped me enormously in my search for ##LINK##. Thanks.

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home