Thursday, May 22, 2008

Explaining Egypt

Some things are particularly hard to explain to children. My daughter likes the animated movie "Prince of Egypt" which covers the dealings of Moses with the Pharoah as told in Exodus. My daughter is also extremely sensitive, particularly with babies, moms, and with anything dying.

The beginning of the movie, I was able to cover explaining the bad guys killing all the babies. It upset her but at least the concept of bad guys doing bad things makes sense to her. Harder to explain was the punishments set forth from God, and especially of course, the death of all the first borns. How do you explain that? Even understanding it, it is a painful thing to watch played out.

In other news, this is my third attempt at publishing a post. Been having connection problems but hopefully that has been resolved. It's also kept me from posting comments though too so I've been a bit out of touch.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I hope that the connection problems are gone.

The stories in the book of Exodus are difficult even for many adults to accept. We don’t like to read about infanticide or God as destroyer/punisher.

3:23 AM  
Blogger AfricaBleu said...

Hehe. I didn't love the movie, but, as you know, I LOVED the soundtrack. I'm weird, that way. And I do love the book of Exodus--heck, the whole Old Testament is rife with exciting (albeit sometimes disturbing) stories.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hope and pray you are OK.

6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home