Wednesday, May 07, 2008

School Zone

We had an orientation tonight for my son's new school. Next year he will be moving on from his grade school to begin 4th grade in the 4 thru 6 consolidated school. Till now, he's been attending a school comprised of students living in his own school district. Beginning at 4th grade, all the students from all the city's school districts come together in one building. It's a bit intimidating. It makes for a school size of over 1200. I graduated from a school who's entire student body didn't break 400. I think I've done pretty well at keeping my concerns and worries away from my son. I don't want him to take on my fears. He's pretty adaptable though. What would socially terrify me doesn't phase him in the least. He sees 1140 new people as 1140 new friends.

I don't think he's believes there is a soul out there who wouldn't want to be his friend - not out of arrogance, but more out of simple oblivion. He lives in a world where people skip around holding hands and rejection doesn't exist. Rejection? What's that? And I know at times kids in his class didn't want him around. We tried to keep him off meds for his ADD for as long as possible. Behavior modifications addressed his school performance and behaviors but didn't help him with his silliness and keeping his hands to himself. But he took that in stride, almost oblivious to it.

Anyway, I'm sure he'll adjust to the changes better than I will. It won't be long into the new school year before every adult in the building will be on close personal terms with him. It's just the way he is.

2 Comments:

Blogger kcoop said...

1140 students? Wow. That's alot for 4th-6th grades. I'm sure he will do absolutely fine in the new school. He will know half of the students and all of the faculty by the end of the first week. And more students means more chances for him to meet new friends who are more similar to him. So this may be a very positive thing for the little man. :)

ps- you inspired me to revisit my blog. I'm sure it will only last about a week though.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Doug Bagley said...

Happy Mothers' Day!

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home