Tuesday, May 31, 2005

It'll Grow Back

I don't know why I blog about the most ridiculous stuff, but I'm about to do it again. I went out to seek beauty enhancement and was left with the sentiment, " Well, it'll grow back...I guess". No, I didn't get a bad cut, I had my eyebrows waxed (don't say I didn't warn you about the topic). Mayhap some women can sympathise with me and can forgive me for blogging about the asinine.

Now I'm a newbie to the world of waxing. This will be my third time. The first time, the girl was very conservative, which was fine with me. She did a thin underbrow waxing and I had to talk her in to doing between my brow and hairline on the side. The second time, the girl just followed the path lain by the girl before her. All of which was fine by me.

They say the 3rd time's a charm. But I'm thinking curse would be a more appropriate word.

All my life I've been a bushy brow girl. While my peers were plucking away, I lifted one bushy brow at them as though they were demented. I was a Brooke Shields brow girl.

Now? I'm not sure anyone looks like me. I'm not sure anyone would want to. This third girl has a thing for arches. She thinks all brows should create a nice arch or at least an upside down V. First she waxed me. Then she plucked. And she plucked. She apologized for her plucking because she said she was afraid to put on more wax and remove too much. After she plucked some more, she asked me twice if I was sure I didn't want her to do the top of the brow.

I'm somewhat attached to my bushy brows. I think thin brows make you look older. I prefer to go for a look that says "Yes, I know, they're bushy, but see?! they're lined up, formed. The pencil days will come soon enough, thank you.

So I again refused the top brow wax. Plucking completed, she hands me the mirror with the instuctions "Let me know if you see anything". My first look I thought I must have been mistaken. I'd had my eyes closed and maybe they just hadn't refocused. "Nope," I said "I don't see anything". I hand back the mirror and she moves on to do the hairline wax. By this time I'm thinking "Did I just see what I thought I saw"?

The mirror is then handed back to me to see what I think. When I look I'm thinking "My God! What have you done to me?". My brows have the same bushy beginnings, then create a full arc, then end in a pencil thin line. Perhaps in my lack of knowledge, eyebrows are supposed to look like that and I've just received the finest waxing one can receive. But I'm thinking not. In fact, I think I look like Jack Nicholson playing the Joker. Somehow though, the wuss in me translated my "OH MY GOD" to "No, it looks fine, thanks". I pay the fee and leave.

I can only hope they will grow back. I don't know that my waxing days are completely at an end. I do know however, that I got the girls name and next time, I'll call and check if the bushwacker is working or not.

10 Comments:

Blogger dan swinney said...

sonson,

thanks for your encouragement...i'm completely new to this medium, made a posting, and you showed up...how did that happen? looking for "galena"?

i appreciate your writings from the ridiculous (eyebrows) to the life shaping--your brother... keep it up!

dan

6:47 PM  
Blogger Prithi Shetty said...

this is the best humorous reading i have had in a long time. so nice.

sorry to feel good at something which caused u agony, i hope it has grown back. maybe it was the shock of new look, maybe it looks to to others. like the way it happens with the hair flicks (front hair). anyway like u said, it will grow. and then you can experiment some more :)

btw all this i speak as audience. i dont have any experience yet. i am too scared to let anyone touch my eyebrows ! :)

3:40 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

they will grow back! never fear!

7:08 AM  
Blogger AfricaBleu said...

So sorry, Sonson! Eyebrow trauma is hard to survive...
I had this teacher in 6th grade who plucked her eyebrows OFF and then drew them back on with a pencil. We always knew when she was running late because she would skid into class with one eyebrow higher than the other; it gave her an "Oh, really?" look all day long.

Never fear - from one bushy-brow girl to another - it WILL grow back.

5:51 PM  
Blogger Baejaar said...

I guess you should never goto parlours alone. Go with your friend and may be ask them to have a look out while they wax/pluck your eye brows. Thats all I can suggest.

Meanwhile I hope it grows back soon....

7:08 AM  
Blogger Susannah Nichols said...

as someone of mediterranean descent, i am all too familiar with the world of waxing (i could write a treatise on the subject, so sad)... it will grow back. it also gets significantly less painful each time. i barely notice when they do it anymore. but you definitely hit the nail when you were talking about how the 2nd girl just followed the path laid by the 1st girl--doing it semi-regularly helps the shape you like stay there. and *most* people are sympathetic to the "i don't want pencil-thin brows" perspective. just find the right one. sorry, that was WAY long. :)

9:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

During the grow-in stage, I always swear it'll be my last waxing, that I am capable of shaping my own eyebrows. Sadly, I'm really not. I try to keep plucking when it's growing back, but I just can't seem to maintain that shape that the esthitician can always make(yeah,horrible spelling - it's not a word I spell often!).

7:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Once, my regular aesthetician wasn't in, so I had one of the other girls do my brows...SHE WAXED THE SKIN RIGHT OFF MY FACE!

It was awful. I had one normal brow, and one franken-brow that would randomly start bleeding where she had ripped off the skin! GAH! I complained, and got a freebie from my regular aesthetician the next time.

2:50 PM  
Blogger StaceyG said...

Heh...I can relate. I made the mistake of going to a BEAUTY SCHOOL to have mine done once. Now, one eyebrow is slightly longer than the other. But thank goodness I've found someone good to go to now, and the brow is growing back. I, too, am of the bushy brows.

5:27 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just found this post because I searched to see how long it will take for them to grow back. I had the same thing done today. In my case, I wax all the time, but I tried a new girl, and now I'm just praying they come back. I have Brooke Shield brows too, and now.....I look like....I don't even know. It's just not ok.

1:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home