Friday, September 30, 2005

Black Cloud

What is that cartoon where wherever the character goes, a black cloud follows, hovering above him?

It seems I've had a black cloud following me lately. We've had an uncanny amount of bad luck lately. Everything we own seems to have conspired against us. Where to begin...

Our pool liner has decided it's endured enough and has pulled away from the side of the pool in addition to springing some undetectable leaks. Replacing it will cost a couple grand or better. The van starts acting up requiring a new $350 part called a "multi-function switch". For that much money, you'd think it would have a cooler name. My hard drive dies, costing a little over 100 bucks to be replaced, not to mention tons of frustration. We go out of town for our 10 year anniversary to get away from it all. As soon as we cross the state line, the brakes start sounding like they're going thru a meat grinder. My husband is capable of changing the brake pads and rotars but we are a long way from home and he doesn't have his tools. Having someone else do it cost us twice as much - about $185. Once back at home, I flip the switch to the ceiling fan. Nothing happens. That will have to be fixed. I flip the switch to the garbage disposal. Nothing happens. The motor is bad so that will have to be replaced. I turn on the TV. The picture tube is going out. The lights on the van are doing something funky so that will have to be checked out. And to top it all off, our roof has to be replaced.

At some point, all of these things happening ceased to surprise me. Mostly, they've been met with disbelief. Is it possible for all this to happen at the same time? I keep waiting for someone to jump out and say "Surprise! You're on candid camera!"

We'd promised our daughter she could have a skating party for her 5th birthday. It's coming up in about a week and I've no idea how we are going to pay for it. All these expenses have thrown us for a major loop!

Anyway, I'm hoping for a good stiff breeze to blow this black cloud away. I've never experienced something so prolonged like this. But it can't last forever, right? Even the bad luck cartoon character eventually see's the sun.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

There may have been more than one character who walked around with a clould over him/following him. The one I remember best was Joe Btfsplk in Al Capp’s “Li’l Abner.”

I have had days, weeks, months, and years during which everything seemed to be going wrong. It ends eventually and we forget feeling like Joe Btfsplk. Until that happens, I give you an Irish blessing:

A world of wishes at your command,
God and his angels ever close at hand,
Friends and family, their love impart,
And Irish blessings in your heart!

2:25 AM  
Blogger Ca... said...

Boy, you are really having an adventure! While you were painting the edges of a perfectly good cloud black, I've been sitting in front of this computer, blogging, playing games, staring, nodding off, reminiscing to myself, thinking of what to do next, (what have I done up to now?) and otherwise being a veggie, wishing even for an adventure such as you had but didn't recognize! Some people have all the luck! 'chuckle'

PS..."One persons' trash is another persons' treasure."

8:42 AM  
Blogger 1974punkmom said...

Financial stresses may indeed be the worst. I, too, will send good thoughts and prayers your way. That gust of wind can't be far from you....

1:46 PM  
Blogger AfricaBleu said...

Well, it IS hurricane season, you know, so you are getting the "when it rains, it wipes out your whole state" weather.

I would now like you to envision me all the way over here in Oklahoma, sending you good thoughts and belting out, "The Sun Will Come Out, To-Morrow" like Little Orphan Annie.

It HAS to get better ("too-morrow, tomorrow, I love ya, to-morrow, you're only a daaaaay aaaaa-waaaaay...")

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home