Thursday, October 06, 2005

Old Dog, New Tricks

Well, I am learning something new. I am learning how to knit. I've wanted to learn for some time and finally took the plunge. It is not as easy as I had thought. I'm getting better with practice, but it's not the mindless activity I'd imagined either. At least not yet. It is kinda fun.

I'd imagined a picture of a mother sitting outside in a chair knitting a sweater, smiling pleasantly while her children play happily in the sunshine. Reality check. Last night I met with a knitting group. One of the ladies was knitting a sweater. It looked remarkedly hard and she was in a dither over a potential mistake that would require ripping out hours of work.

Ah well, I'm looking forward to learning a new skill. I'll let you know how my dishcloth turns out.

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I had an aunt who was always knitting. I thought it a relaxing way to spend time. Unfortunately, late in her life she developed arthritis in her hands which ended her knitting.

Enjoy your new skill, sonson!

8:09 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

I tried knitting a few times but it's definitely not as easy as it looks. Kudos to you, if you succeed. I'd like to try again sometime.

3:57 PM  
Blogger AfricaBleu said...

My daughter tried and tried to knit - no luck. She started crocheting and bingo! She has crocheted more scarves, washcloths, and blankets than a mom can stand.

Just so you have something to fall back on, just in case... ;)

That group you talked about gave me images of a support group - "Hi, my name is Becky, and I knit." hee hee.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Politically Homeless said...

Good luck with your new hobby!

11:20 AM  
Blogger 1974punkmom said...

Good luck! I should probably take up a new hobby (other than spending countless hours on the internet...)

11:48 AM  
Blogger Prithi Shetty said...

I love knitting. And most of the time, I unravel it and knit again. Feels like a game. Enjoy :)

7:57 PM  
Blogger kcoop said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:21 PM  
Blogger kcoop said...

Whoops about the last comment! I said good luck with your new hobby! :)

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home