Monday, October 17, 2005

"Terrible" Book Series

My sister started me on a book series. She assured me they were the greatest books ever.

The first book made me angry. I was really mad at the message I thought the author was sending. The second book placated my anger and was interesting. The third book caught my interest and was intriguing reading. The forth book, which I just finished moments ago, was nothing short of horrendous.

I cried through 95 or more percent of the book. And that is NO exaggeration. Horrible events and I can't believe my sister gave it to me to read. Parts of it I not only cried through, but sobbed terribly. It was torture. I wanted to put it down and not read another page 50 pages into it. That, however, is completely impossible for me. It goes against the grain. In addition, I am waiting for book5. My sister had told me book 4 was sooo good and "the best". Since she thinks 4 is the best, I can only hope 5 will not be as torturous.

If you want to torture yourself with some christian fiction, the series is by Karen Kingsbery and Gary Smalley. Return, Rejoice, Remember, and some other one. I don't recommend them unless you are perhaps more emotionally stable than myself or enjoy emotional rollercoaster rides. For some that would swear you away from them. For others, that would be the highest recommendation I can give. They definitely get to your gut.

4 Comments:

Blogger kcoop said...

Is that the series you guys want me to read so badly?? Because if it is, I think I'm gonna have to pass. :)

10:54 AM  
Blogger Doug Bagley said...

Thanks for the warning on those books. They don't sound like something I'd want to read but like you once I start a book it goes against the grain for me to not finish, hence, I've read some real losers in my time.
Thanks also for your kind words on my latest post.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have never read Christian fiction and probably never will.

4:02 PM  
Blogger AfricaBleu said...

Yikes! Funny that they are killing you, yet you can't wait for book five - glutton for punishment, are you? :) But isn't that just human nature...?

There are certain topics I CAN NOT read/watch movies about because they make me so sad, I have a hard time functioning in the world afterwards. I know this about myself, so I avoid those topics like the plague, no matter how "good" someone tells me a movie is, or how "wonderful - don't miss it" a book is - I just have to shake my head and say, "nope."

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home