Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Sock Sanity

Ok, there's a big reason, besides the obvious ice and cold, that I don't like winter. Socks. My kids have to wear shoes with socks. It seems, no matter how many socks they have, I'm always running out. For some reason, socks have some kind of blocking agent on them that prevents them from making it to the dirty laundry. Sometimes I end up with a full load's worth of clean socks with no mate.

My kids take their shoes and socks off after they get home from school. Not when they get home from school - that would be too easy and supervisable - just sometime after. They're never ready to take them off when they come in the door for various reasons. Their feet are cold. They want to go back outside after a snack. They want to drive me crazy. Whatever the reason they wait till later. Initially I made them put their socks in the dirty laundry as soon as they took them off. Well, in the few events that that actually happened, they then decided to go outside and grabbed new socks to put on, thus they have fewer clean socks in their drawers.

I'm trying a new tactic. Socks go immediately in the shoes when you take them off. I can only hope it will help.

Last night I folded laundry, including socks. This morning I go to get my son's socks. His sock drawer is empty. Completely empty. Come to find out - precious get ready for school minutes later, my son decided to add his socks to his shorts drawer. No wonder I love sandals.

6 Comments:

Blogger kcoop said...

Having your kids put their socks inside of their shoes is a great idea and it usually works pretty well. Now all you have to do is hope that the shoes don't disappear! :)

11:04 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I hate socks—with a passion! I have found that I now have gone back to my teenage years when Bass moccasins sans socks was the “in” thing (along with Madras shirts).

I have a sock draw with probably 200 socks in it and I think 150 of them are singles. I have no idea what happens to one sock of a pair and why they don’t stay together. I really believe that socks conspire to divorce as soon as you take a pair off. I also believe that if I put one matching pair of socks in a washing machine, by the time I get them out of the dryer, I’ll have two socks that don’t match.

4:31 PM  
Blogger AfricaBleu said...

I hear ya - I have a son that strips down to his underwear the second he gets home from school - no matter what temperature it is outside, he claims he is "hot." So when it's time to go somewhere, he puts a whole new, CLEAN outfit on - then when we get home from our errands, it starts all over again.

I think I gave birth to the last link instead of a boy.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Doug Bagley said...

LOL, hey, I'll have to post my "Sock Exchange" story. I think anyone with kids and laundry will enjoy it.
Thanks for sharing the "craziness"
of family life. I love it!

4:10 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

It gets even better when those tiny feet grow into the same size as their parents. They STILL lose all of theirs and then they steal all the parent's socks!

6:37 PM  
Blogger Politically Homeless said...

Let us know how that works out. I could sure use a good idea in this area!

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home