Monday, June 06, 2005

I'm Baaaack

Oh man! What a totally exhausting weekend. My niece graduated from high school Sunday. I went down to my sister's on Friday morning to help get ready for the weekend. This will be her middle child leaving the nest. I think my niece has a pretty good head on her shoulders and will do well in college. It's so amazing to see them grow up. Graduating high school is a pretty big marker. My niece was just a little girl when I was in college. Now she's going. It doesn't seem possible that she could have been so young when I was in college and now she's graduating. Amazing what 10 years can do.

So I helped my sister get ready to host a graduation party. The food display could have been in a magazine. We dipped chocolate and put out a spread. My sister has a lot of longaberger products so all the food was set out in expensive baskets and serving ware. The fruit was in a bowl surrounding an uncut pineapple and garnished with grapes. It was all beautiful. A bit over the top perhaps though. My sister is very into appearances. Well, she definitely set the bar. It was nice though. She had 3 scrapbooks noting my niece's high school career and she also put out papers from grade school that she had saved.

Just a small sad element that my brother wasn't there. He set a lot by education and he would have been very proud of my niece. I'd thought for a bit during the ceremony that it was too bad he wasn't there to see her graduate. Then they mentioned something about how unusually small the class size was, only 52 students. (gasp, I know) But the odd thing is, 52 is the family number. It's my brother's number. He was a big sports player and his jerseys were always 52. The number became a big thing in our family. I thought it interesting that that was the number in my nieces graduating class. It was almost like him saying, "I'm here. I woudn't miss this".

Well, I'm exhausted and headed to bed. Big day tomorrow cleaning and stuff. Our baseball players come this week for the summer so I have to get their rooms ready and all.

1 Comments:

Blogger Baejaar said...

Time does fly.....

Pass on my best wishes for your niece's career.

52 is a small class? I was complaining about my school where they had 40 students per class. I would prefer a class size of 20 when every one gets personalized attention.

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home