Thursday, June 09, 2005

On Fear And Phobias

I have a fear of bridges. Sometimes when I drive across them, my knuckles turn white as I grip the wheel. I've been known to snap at someone for not watching the road close enough while crossing a bridge.

I have an even bigger fear of flying. Actually, I don't fear flying so much as I do crashing. It's simply something I don't want to experience. I've jumped off the high dive at the public pool twice in my life. I didn't like it. Somehow I view flying (and conscequintly crashing) as a really, really big high dive. No thanks.

These (barring any tragic thoughts of something to do with my children) are my great fears. And as great as they are, as gut wrenching and heart pounding as I find them, they are nothing - nothing to my phobias. And I have two of them.

I don't have any great fear of spiders. I spare no love for them, but no exceptional fear either. Bugs? Bugs are another issue altogether. Fear truly is not a powerful enough word for the emotion I have towards bugs. I don't have any levels for how frightening a certain type of bug is over another. Nope, I give them all the benefit of the doubt and rate them all at extreme. In my area the June bug is most prevelant so perhaps I loath them more but pretty much any bug will elicit the same response. And that response is panic. Sheer, unadulterated, mindless terror. And when I say mindless, I mean mindless. I once tried to exit a moving vehicle when I found myself sharing automotive space. My door was open and my body was in full flight. Only the seat belt held me in. Which is bad enough in itself except that I also happened to be the driver of the vehicle.

Absolute mindless terror. For a bug. Though I can admit to that reaction as being extreme, it simply is beyond control. All thought seems to exit my mind. Why else would I leap from a moving vehicle, willing to let my own car careen on driverless?

This weekend my sister-in-law was driving her vehicle when I noticed a bug on the inside of my window. Again, the seat belt held me from moving too far and I was crying out about a bug and the window. Unfortunately my initial plea didn't make much sense (again the mindless thing) and it took her a minute to realize what was going on. Then, finding humor in my terror, she told me to roll down my own window. Desperate to get as far away from the bug as possible, I finally was able to release the catch on my seat belt and in my haste nearly sent the buckle through the window pane while I flung myself toward the back seat. Needless to say my sister-in-law didn't find that quite so funny.

This however is what seperates fear from phobia. My fears may be a bit unreasonable but my phobias? I become unreasonable. I simply lose ability to reason. I don't know why I experience this over bugs but bugs definitely do it.

The other thing that does me in is guns. Now don't get all up in arm (ha ha), I'm not into the politics of gun control in the least. I simply become mindless when around guns. My husband thought to break me of this one time and took me out where he target practices, stood me in place and put his shotgun in my hands. I became so terrified I started crying. For a moment he wouldn't take the gun from me and for me, it felt like an eternity. I was absolutely terrified to move. I stood stock still bawling my head off.

I didn't realize that it is standard safety for policemen to have their hand readily over their gun when they approach a car that they've pulled over at night. Thankfully my husband was driving cause when I saw the cops hand on his gun I was so terrified I could neither move nor speak for some time. Then I started bawling and felt like I'd run a marathon.

My husband is an avid hunter but the guns had never been in our house. For years they stayed at his parent's. Then when I had my major surgery and wouldn't be able to go downstairs in our house for over a year, he moved them (at his parent's insistance) into our basement. It was nearly 2 years later that I discovered them. They are still here but locked in a cabinet and each has a large trigger lock and all ammunition is stored outside of the house. I still don't look at the cabinet though, just knowing they are in there. I have no issue with my husband hunting or his use of guns but they simply terrify me. I also believe they have no business in a house with children but we've taken about as many steps as we can to make them uneasily useable.

So. Those are my deepseated fears and phobias. I'm just wondering how common phobias are. Right now I know no one with a real phobia like I experience. None of my friends or family experience anything like it. Surely it can't be all that rare though.

So what makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck?

9 Comments:

Blogger AfricaBleu said...

Sonson,
Through the WINDOW?!? THAT is a phobia, for sure! Serves SIL right for thinking your fear is funny...

When I was a kid, we used to tie thread around June bugs and make them fly like little kites. How do you feel about ladybugs?

7:30 AM  
Blogger Baejaar said...

Phobias - Couldnt recollect any - except of course the work :-)

Bugs are more of a nuisance. For eg the ants and cockroaches are the best example. Once they decide to take over, they can drive us (atleast me) mad. Its very difficult to exterminate them. Worst thing is they are omnivores and they have been living in this planet even before human beings evolved.

Thankfully I dont have fear of heights (atleast not as long as I hold on to something). I cant afford it for I studied Civil Engineering which involves design and construction of Bridges.

7:32 AM  
Blogger AfricaBleu said...

I can't eat in a room where there is a doll with synthetic hair. It makes me want to throw-up. I don't mind the hair if I am not eating, but if I am -- urk. Even if the doll is far away, it has to be covered up.

A friend of mine has a phobia about touching belly-buttons - hers and others. Makes her sick to see or feel.

We are strange animals, we human beings.

10:36 AM  
Blogger ~cjoy said...

My father has a phobia of snakes. I recall him coming in from mowing and seeing one...he sat in his recliner shaking all over (visibly) for an hour, I think. He'd get chest pains, too. The phobia seems worse at different times in his life, typically years when his stress levels are higher. Then, there are times when my mother has said she's very proud of how he handled a run-in. We NEVER mention if we've seen one, especially if it's near or in our homes.

I would not say I have a phobia, but I have an overly-healthy fear of them. In particular, I don't handle being startled by them very well.

Phobias are never reasonable, but they are very real!

By the way, staying upstairs for a year? You have my sympathy. That could not have been easy to add to whatever it was that kept you there. After the recent birth of our daughter, I had to stay upstairs for a week, with very limited use of my split-level stairs for the following month...I no longer feel sorry for myself in the least!

3:46 PM  
Blogger SonSon said...

It is odd, the things we fear.

Africa - I do tolerate Ladybugs, but only the red and black ones and only with great effort. Same goes for lightening bugs.

cjs - It was a tough, tough year for me but fortunately the upstairs is the main floor of our home. I'll probably blog on my experience in the near future. You've had it rough yourself though and I truly feel for you.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Susannah Nichols said...

My husband, too, has an intense bridge fear. Ever done the Chesapeake in MD? Scary.

I wouldn't say I have a phobia of ants, but when we first moved into our current place, there were ants *everywhere* and I kept thinking I saw them, even after they'd all died. Gross.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Kassi Gilbert said...

Frogs, or more specifically pacman frogs. They have teeth. I am learning to get over the fear of frogs in general and have pretty much narrowed it to that specific frog...
Also, I used to think that I was afraid of sharks...but I have recently realized that I am actually afraid of water...or more specifically the things that live in the water. I sometimes get afraid while taking a bath-seriously. I used to think I was afraid of sharks, but I have come to realize it is actually bodies of water.
Additionally I am also afraid of flying. Which is going to be in my face pretty soon as I will have to put my children on an airplane by themselves in a couple of weeks. I'll be a mess.

Lastly, clowns. I didn't want to mention this, and I won't go into too much detail...but clowns. Yeah, that'll do.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

okay let's see. The only thing that comes close to that level of fear would be bees or wasps. I mean I would totally freak out if one was in the car with me for sure. I could see myself vacating the car with the car running just like you described. Regular bugs don't bother me too much unless I don't recognize the bug... OR it lands on me and I haven't seen it coming. A cicada once landed in my hair and I FREAKED out. Those things are huge!!!

4:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Silverfish. When those things crawl up and out of my drain, I am truly freaked. And the only other bug: earwigs. Arrrrghhhhhhhhhh. Things that are rumoured to like crawling into your ears? Yeah, I'm afraid.

I also really do not like the sound of wind chimes. Soothing? I don't think so. Creepy? Oh yeah.

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home