Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Framed

Ok. So I finally got new glasses. When I got my last pair, 6 years ago, I was rushed by my infant daughter demanding to be nursed. As a result, I settled for a pair that the glasses helper lady said "Oh those are nice" about (probably because they were the most expensive pair I'd put on) despite the fact that I didn't really like them. In no time at all I grew to hate them. They were not very flattering but they were 100 percent mine. Ah well, I had a new infant and how I looked in my glasses I'm sure was better than how I looked in my sweats and t-shirt with a spit up stain on the shoulder. Especially since a whole day could pass without my having once brushed my hair. But that's another blog.

Eventually though, I graduated from sweats and baby stained clothes and my glasses just stuck out worse. I'm not sure when they got bent out of shape, but I never even bothered to have them adjusted. I looked as though I had my head permenantly cocked to one side in a contemplative manner. Except that my head was perfectly aligned upon my shoulders. In short, I looked ridiculous.

But all that has finally changed. I picked out my own frames this time, taking all the time I needed and leaving no pair untested. I am now the proud owner of glasses that I actually like. I was able to test them out on my best friend tonight, whom to my relief, liked them quite well. I'd asked my husband what he thought right after I'd gotten them. Fishing for compliments from my husband though, is quite an adventure all in it's own. He's incapable of just saying, "They look nice, I like them". Instead, I get a 20 minute rendition of Ray Ramone (everybody loves Raymond) stumbling all over himself. Somewhere in the middle of his tirade I specifically remember him saying "I mean, they're glasses" followed by multiple ways to qualify that to mean something better than what it sounded. Finally, at the end of his word vomit episode, I said "So you like them?" to which he replied "yes".

God love 'em.

So there you have it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Doug Bagley said...

Ah yes, glasses. Happens to the best of us, lol. Best to pick frames you like.

6:41 PM  
Blogger Politically Homeless said...

I'm sure you're stylin!

8:25 PM  
Blogger 1974punkmom said...

I just got new glasses, but I really loved my old ones. They simply broke in half. It was a shame...I tried to get the exact same frames, and despite the fact that they were only a year old, they were discontinued. Anyway, new glasses are a very good thing!!!!

12:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hmmmm. I once bought an extremely expensive pair of glasses ( titanium frames) because the salesclerk said “Try these” followed by “They make you look sooooooooooo distinguished.”

4:50 PM  
Blogger Susannah Nichols said...

I will soon be on the hunt for new frames... for quite a while I was extremely vain and refused to get out of my contacts. But I've now discovered that it's fun to wear cool frames every now and then! Glad you found some cool ones!

2:46 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Yea! Congratulations! My frames are 4 years old- crushed on the inside roof of an auto twice, stepped on 3 times, out of style, etc. Med insurance kicks back in this month- that is my first objective- new frames!
Hope you are enjoying yours!

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home