Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Gray In The Middle

A few years ago I went through training to volunteer at a women's shelter. As a part of that training, we met with a group that gathers to discuss racial awareness/equality etc. It consisted of several black people and a couple of whites. Mostly they discuss inequality and predjudices.

At one point, someone asked if times were improved now for today's youth, predjudicially speaking. The answer? No. The lady that spoke up was probably mid 50's and the group (excluding the whites to whom the question was not directed) agreed. I was floored. How could things not be better, as far as prejudism goes, for black youths today as opposed to 30+ years ago?! But they were adament. I would liked to have explored their opinion further but the topic soon strayed. Even now, years later, I'm disturbed by that response. I find it impossible to believe.

I realize that racial slurs, prejudism, and inequality are still prevelant in our society, but how could it possibly be just as bad as it was decades ago. I could argue that seperatism is, if not extinct, than at least certainly far from the norm but I will concede that hostilities could have simply changed it's form rather than gone away. But, I know when I grew up, I didn't even realize some people didn't think it was kosher for me to have my black friends. None of us suffered for being friends with each other. No parents prevented our black friends from spending the night, coming over to play, or any such thing or even tried to interfere with our friendships. In fact, I never thought in terms of black and white at all during my growing years. Despite having friends who were black, I never encountered any reason to consider it. Surely that's an improvment over all those decades ago; that an 8 year old black girl could spend the night with an 8 year old white girl, and vice versa, without anyone burning crosses in the front yard.

The attitude that things are no better today almost makes me angry. Do we have a long ways to go yet? Of course. I'm not saying we live in a racial equal society. But to think that my efforts to teach my children and impress upon others who think otherwise that skin color does not determine a person's worth have been wasted irritates me.

I'm extremely willing to listen if someone can explain this belief to me.

3 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

There will always be people who think we live in a prejudice society, and there will always be people who think like you do. There are plenty of people who think the world is out to get them because of their race, religion, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, and the list goes on. That'll never change, but it's ridiculous to make a blanket statement that times haven't improved for prejudice. Improved since when? Since 5 years ago? Maybe not. Since segregation? There's no question, so I can't help but wonder if there were specific circumstances they had in mind. If maybe they knew of an instance of a youth experiencing prejudice. There is prejudice toward every race--not just black. It will always exist to a degree, because everyone's different.

6:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am not sure if “improve” is the correct measurement. When I returned to Louisville in 1997 I was appointed to a commission of the Louisville Council of Churches that deals with racial prejudice. The first meeting I attended floored me: the commission was dealing with the exact same issues that they were dealing with when I was a member 25 years earlier, in 1972. The names of the players were different, but issues such as segregated housing, inequality of education, etc. were exactly the same.

Sure, they were dealing with the issues at a different level—open housing laws and busing for racial balance had changed the picture—but the issues remained the same.

Improved? Maybe. To my knowledge black boys are no longer being beaten half to death for dating white girls, but there remains prejudice, even if it is more covert than overt.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I think racism is very prevalent today- but it's more taboo to be racist. I think the racism driven crimes are not as obvious but are virile.
If we are talking strictly Cauacasian toward African-American racism I will pass along what former work related friends who were African-American (and Haitian American and Dominican and Jamaiican) told me- Yes it is bad.
Now there is an evermounting racism toward men of Western descent- Yes there was a spark to fuel it but I think the government is fanning that spark and it will burn for generations.
I think anyone who makes extra effort to teach people,particularly children who are still forming their beliefs for life, against racism is making a difference. Every little bite out of ignorance helps.

4:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home